Monday, September 13, 2010

Flavored Rice

So, I made a very healthy dinner tonight... Salmon, rice and green beans. Those three things are all rather bland items so each of them needs some spicing up. The salmon I doused in lemon juice as usual, the green beans I buttered up and sprinkled with lemon pepper, the rice... well, the rice I was drawing a big fat blank on. How in the world does one spice up or season rice??? With this thought in mind, I googled "flavorful rice". I found several plausible options if I were a bean fan... so I kept sifting through the links and found this one, which was actually one of the first choices.
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/flavorful-rice/Detail.aspx I tweaked this recipe quite a bit. The first thing I noticed was that I most definitely did not need 3 cups of rice, and I don't have a rice cooker, and I did NOT want the tomatoes in it, AND I only had minute rice on hand when the recipe calls for regular rice. So I decided to change the recipe a little bit, which I have switched recipes before but not a lot so I'm always a little nervous when I'm doing it.

But I went ahead with it and this is what I did:

According to the rice box directions for 1 cup of rice I needed 1 cup of water. So I put 3/4 cup of water in a pot, and then added 1 TBSP of olive oil and 1 TBSP of vinegar. Then I sprinkled oregano, salt, and pepper (I didn't have basil on hand) into the water solution which I then set to boil. After it started boiling, I poured in the cup rice, stirred it, covered it, removed it from heat, let it sit for 5 minutes (per box directions). After the 5 minutes, I checked the rice, it seemed a little too moist, and since the rest of dinner was not yet ready, I let it sit longer. By the time we were ready to eat, the rice was ready too. It was yummy and I would make it again. Have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! You do the same thing I do... google for the recipe you need, with descriptives and everything:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I never seem to have what I need for a recipe and always want to change what I do find.

    ReplyDelete