Monday, December 6, 2010

Truffles.... mmmm.... sigh:)
















So, I have always wanted to make truffles, just never taken the time to or found a recipe I just HAD to try. Until now. While going through some holiday cookbooks to find some new Christmas cookie recipes to try, I found this one that just looked too easy to pass up. Hence, I made them and boy, was it worth it:). (And yes, I did just say that I was looking through cookbooks, the bane of my existence. Well, not quite that bad, but I do prefer Google:).



Here is the recipe:

1 10 oz package of mint chocolate chips

1/3 cup of whipping cream

1/4 cup butter or margarine (I used marg.)

sprinkles



Line baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.




Melt chips with whipping cream and butter in heavy, medium saucepan over low heat (the highest I put it was 2), stirring occasionally (since it's on low, there's not a HUGE chance of it burning). Pour into pie pan. Refrigerate until mixture is fudgy, but soft, about 2 hours (I put it in the fridge for almost exactly 2 hours and it was a little harder than I wanted it to be but it worked).


Shape about 1 tablespoonful of mixture into 1 1/4-inch ball. To shape, roll mixture between your palms. Repeat procedure with remaing mixture. Place balls on waxed paper.



Place sprinkles in shallow bowl; roll balls in sprinkles. Place truffles in petit four or candy cups. (If sprinkles won't stick because truffle has set, roll truffle between your palms until outside is soft.) Truffles can be refrigerated 2 to 3 days or frozen several weeks.



Note: I totally forewent (is that a word?) the whole wax paper thing. I just shaped the balls, immediately rolled them in sprinkles, and then stuck them in a mini-muffin cup. The book rolled them in chocolate sprinkles, but I went for a more festive look with colored sprinkles. Although I haven't tried an actual truffle yet, I tasted it from the pan and it was PRETTY YUMMY!!! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! My one and only experience making truffles was a complete and total failure!

    ReplyDelete